The liver is a vast chemical factory, the heat produced by the chemical changes taking place in it forms an important contribution to the general warming of the body. It secretes biles (salts and pigments) and aids the digestion of fats. It stores the substance necessary for the proper functioning of the bone marrow in the manufacture of red blood corpuscles.
It also manufactures the fibrinogen of the blood, stores iron and copper, produces preparing, detoxicates the noxious products made in the intestines and absorbed into the blood. It stores carbohydrates in the form of glycogen.
The liver is the largest gland in the body and one of the five major organs which are vital to life. A malfunctioning of the liver may not become apparent immediately, unless of course, the blood flow through it is impeded or the bile ducts are obstructed. Nor does it recover quickly one a disorder lodges itself in the organ.
Signs & Symptoms
- In cirrhosis of the liver the tissues are replaced by fibrous tissues similar to scar tissues. The color of the organ turns from red to yellow and it contracts, blood vessels are depressed and dropsy results because there is deficiency of blood in the veins.
- Cirrhosis of the liver is of many types. It may develop among children when it is known as infantile cirrhosis. but in adults it is generally associated with too much of alcohol drinking by the patient.
- Cirrhosis of the liver manifests itself in the congestion of the organ and that results in loss of appetite.
- Diarrhoea and flatulence may follow and then pain in the region of the liver is noticed
- Pressure of the expanding liver on the diaphragm, the muscular wall separating the lungs and the heart from the other organs in the abdomen, may cause difficulty in breathing and also cough.
- The disease generally occurs because of a faulty diet among children; among adults it is generally the result of excessive intake of alcohol.
- The liver helps neutralise the toxic effects of substances ingested and if such substances are taken in excess, it may fail to meet the demands made on it.
- The first thing: done before medication is start of the liver is to ban all i coffee, tobacco and alcohol or is to ban all intoxicating substances like substances like tea,
- Itchy skin
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
- Dark urine
- Upper right-sided abdominal tenderness
- Unexplained flu-like symptoms
- To Know More Click Here
- Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis
- Bleeding from esophageal varices
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Hepatorenal syndrome
- Hepatopulmonary syndrome
- Liver cancer
- Abdominal examination
- Abdominal Examination
- Inspection – Absence of scars, dilated veins and abdominal distension (protuberance)
- Palpation – Normal findings, no organomegaly, no tenderness
- Percussion – Nothing significant, normal findings
- Auscultation – Normal findings
Ultrasound of the Abdomen
- CT scan or MRI (MRCP) scan
- Endoscopy to check for abnormal veins in the esophagus or stomach
- Radioisotope liver/spleen scan
- A liver biopsy confirms cirrhosis. Some patients will be screened for liver cancer.
1st Day:-Detox medicine 30 – 50 GM’s according to the weight of the patient. Take hot water 2 to 3 glass. After every motion take water.
- Powder Deepen 3gm with honey or hot water bd. For 15 days.
- Bhringaraja (eclipta alba),add salt little bit one teaspoonful thrice daily Katuki (picrorrhiza kurroa) – One teaspoonful of the powder mixed with an equal amount of honey is administered thrice daily.
- In case of attendant constipation, the dose should be increased to double and be given with a cup of warm water three to four times a day. It stimulates the liver to produce more bile, the excretion of which relieves congestion of the liver and the tissues which have become defunction start functioning again.
- Aarogyavardhani, Vati tab 250 mg thrice daily with warm water.
- Kumaryasava 20ml bd equal water
- Panchkor churan 5gm twice daily
Diet and life style.
All fatty substances and hard to digest should be banned. Skimmed milk or goat’s milk, juice of sugarcane, butter milk instead of curds, and garlie should be prescribed. In case there is accumulation of fluids in the region of the abdomen (dropsy), a salt free diet should be given to the patient.
Constipation should not be allowed to develop at any cost even if it means a daily purgative or an enema. 11 the patient feels lost without intake of salt, he may be permitted to use a little rock salt-marine salt is like poison in ailments of the liver.
In addition, the patient should be advised to take complete rest. He should not sleep during the day, ride a vehicle which might jerk the whole body or take any violent exercise. The only exertion permitted is walking over a flat, even ground to avoid shaking the body.
Symptoms: Jaundice or Kamala-as it is called in Ayurveda- is a condition in which there is discoloration of the skin because of deposition of bile pigment in its deeper layers. It may be caused by inflammation of the liver, hepatitis, an infection or an obstruction of the bile ducts due to cirrhosis. It can also be caused by ingestion of certain poisonous substances the morbidity of which the liver is unable to deal with. Whatever the technical name, many diseases of the liver result in jaundice.
The yellow colour first appears in the whites of the eyes and then spreads to the whole of the skin. Excess of bile pigments (Pitta) circulating in the blood give the skin its yellow colour. Since the bile does not go into the intestine as it normally does, the stools of the jaundiced patient lose their typical brownish colour and in severe cases are almost whitish. There is loss of appetite and impairment of digestion. The liver is un able to digest fat and there may be sense of fullness all the time, Nausea may also be present in certain cases because of defective digestion. If the liver is in flamed (hepatitis), there is also pain in the region of the organ and it is tender to touch.
Jaundice must start with purgation. The basic theory is that no burden be placed on the liver and for that a daily purgative ( paths recommend a saline purgativel is recommended. A diuretic may also be administered to encourage the flow of urine which will expel most of the bile from the system.
(Trivari (operculina turpenthum) and Kutuki (mentioned earlier while dealing with cirrhosis of the liver) are the two major drugs with which the treatment of jaundice should start/One to two teaspoonfuls of the powder of the drugs may be administered with hot water twice daily.
The compound preparation used by Ayurveda for the treatment of jaundice are: Avipattikar Churna and Arogyavardhini Vati. The Churna should be given in one teaspoonful doses twice a day with hot water. The Arogyavardhini Vati is available in 250 mg. strength and two tablets should be given thrice daily with hot water or with honey. Other drugs used in the
Sandhyas’s Treatment of Jaundice Are:-
Detox medicine 20 – 30 GM’s according to the weight of the patient. Take hot water 2 to 3 glass.after every motion take water. And pass stool.
- Powder deepan 3gm with honey or hot water bd. For 15 days.
- Kashaya or medicated decoction of Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa) and Musta (Cyperus rotundus), 20ml thrice daily half hour before food.
- Paaneeyartha Siddha Jala – Water processed with Triphala (fruits of Haritakie. Terminalia chebula, Bibhitaki i.e. Terminalia bellirica and Amalaki i.e.
- Emblica officinalis), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa) and Vidanga (Embelia ribes) for drinking
- Tab Arogyavardhini Vati – 2-2-2 after food with warm water
- Tab Liv 52 – 1-1-1 half hour after food with warm water
- Vasaka (adhatoda vasica), Kakamachi (solanum nigrum) and Triphala (the three myrobalans).
Sweet substances and liquids like sugarcane juice, fruit juice and dry grapes should form the mainstay of the patient’s diet. Drugs to induce more urine helpful in expelling extra bile from the blood nostrum mentioned in the section on cirrhonis liver (tender bark of the People tree soaked in overnight and thrown away and the water for drink with addition of sugar) is helpful in ever of the bile ducts. Spic, fat, alcohol and tobacco are contraindicated. (butter milk the bus drink for a patient suffering from jaundice.)
1 thought on “LIVER AND ITS DISORDERS”
Pingback: Vaman Treatment - Best Ayurvedic Treatment of Vaman SMI