Preventive healthcare for a strong for life
Raktamokshana Ayurveda Treatment In India
The term Raktamokshana is derived from the Sanskrit word “Rakta”, which means blood, and “Moksha”, which means liberation.
Ask for Consultation
What is Raktamokshana
This treatment involves a process where impure blood is released from one’s body. It is believed that India’s legendary surgeon Sushruta had massively contributed to this Ayurvedic treatment.
Raktamokshana is an effective blood purification therapy that decreases an increased level of Pitha Dosha. As a result, all this treatment relieves all Pitta-related diseases. This blog aims to cover the types and benefits of this ancient Ayurvedic treatment.
Types of Raktamokshana Treatments
1. Shastra Visravana
This type of Raktamokshana procedure uses metallic instruments. Furthermore, Ayurvedic practitioners have divided Shastra Visravana into two subcategories, and they are:
- Siravyadhana- We know this method as venipuncture in the modern day. One uses a syringe to remove impure blood from a person’s veins in this method.
- Pracchana- In this method, a physician uses a blade or scalpel to make superficial incisions on this skin. This way, blood exudes out through several superficial incisions.
Furthermore, a sub-type of this method is Alabu Pracchana, where an Ayurvedic practitioner uses a bottle gourd or any other conical-shaped vegetable. These vegetables are used to create a vacuum over an incision. Many believe this technique to be the forerunner of Chinese and European wet cupping techniques, which appeared many years later.
2. Anushastra Visravana
This type of Raktamokshana Panchakarma does not involve any metallic instruments. Anushastra Visravana is also divided into two sub-categories which are:
- Jalaukavacharana- In this method, an Ayurvedic practitioner applies leeches to specific areas of a person’s body.
- Shrungavacharana- This method uses a cow’s horns. The Vata conditions are also treated alongside Pitta imbalances in this procedure.
What Are the Benefits of Raktamokshana Treatments?
Ayurveda stated that the Raktamokshana treatment works both as a curative and preventive treatment. The benefits of this ancient treatment technique are:
- Raktamokshana alleviates acute pain in one’s body.
- It helps in reducing the redness of one’s skin.
- This treatment gets rid of skin pigmentation and patchy dry skin.
- It aids in combating various bone-related disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, gouty arthritis, osteoarthritis and pericarditis.
- Using it, one can remove scars and wounds from his/her body.
- It gets rid of various skin disorders like eczema, allergies and inflammations.
- Patients can also get relief from sciatica and tonsillitis with this Ayurvedic treatment.
Furthermore, Ayurvedic doctors and specialists often ask patients to donate blood. Not only donating blood can save others’ lives, but it is also a great way of performing Raktamokshana without going through elaborate procedures.
Who Should Avoid Getting a Raktamokshana Treatment?
Following people should avoid getting a Raktamokshana treatment:
- Pregnant women
- A person suffering from haemorrhoids
- Anaemic person
- Emaciated person
These days Ayurvedic doctors and practitioners rarely use Raktamokshana, but it is still an integral part of the Panchakarmas.
Our Treatment Philosophy
Every person is unique, hence treatment for the person’s disease must be unique too. Sandhya Medicity doctors take
the ayurveda approach, which includes:
Customized remedy including diet, therapy and lifestyle planners designed by your doctor to compliment the medicines for holistic treatment of the root-cause