Preventive healthcare for a strong life
Vamana Ayurveda Treatment In India
Vaman is one of the karma from panchkarma. Vaman means therapeutic vomiting. Vaman karma is targeted mainly to expel increased kapha dosha & secondarily vitiated pitta dosha out of the body.
The main purpose of the Vamana is not just to expel the extra Kapha. These are certain conditions like Asthma and hyperacidity, where the main dosha is pitta. But here pitta is polluting the main place of Kapha therefore it is important to cleanse the base.
Ask for Consultation
What is Vamana
Vamana is a therapeutic procedure to eliminate the vitiated Kapha Dosha through vomiting.
Kapha is the main target in Vamana. Increased Kapha always leads to slowness in the body. Because this dosha is slow, unctous and sticky. So are the diseases caused by this. Aggravated Kapha can cause simple problems like- cough and cold. And can be complicated like Asthma, Allergies and Obesity. When aggravation is of small scale, prescription is- oral medicines. But in complicated conditions, Vamana is preferred.bThe main idea of Vaman is to expel extra and vitiated Kapha. But along with Kapha, Vaman helps in balancing the Pitta Dosha too.
This is one of the part of the Shodhana, method of treatment. Certainly it sounds very strange when we say, it removes or expels one dosha. Here reference of Dosha is not in terms of Dosha alone. Sharangdhara, an author of Ayurvedic book- Sharangdhara Samhita quotes, when Doshas are vitiated and these cause turbidity in the body. These doshas are- Malas (Waste products). Therefore in process like Vamana and Virechana we expel more of mala part of Doshas. These malas cause immense damage to the body. Therefore it is important to remove these from the body.
Procedure of Vamana
The whole procedure of Vamana completes in three steps-
- Purva Karma: Early preparation of Patient for Vamana.
- Pradhan Karma: the main course of treatment.
- Paschat Karma: conclusion part of the procedure.
Purva Karma: The preparatory phase
This is the preparatory phase of Vamana. Where a physician prepares the body of patient for Vamana. This phase includes the following steps-
- Snehana: Medicated ghee is used to oleate the body, internally. Selection of ghee is according to condition, prakruti of patient and disease. The medicated fats helps to solute the deep seated toxins. This process takes 3, 5 or 7 days to achieve the proper condition of patient.
- Swedana: steam follows along with external application of medicated oils.
- Vitiation of Kapha: Diet to increase the Kapha is given to patient on the previous evening of Vamana procedure.
Pradhan Karma: The main phase
This is main phase or main part of the process, where Vaman takes place. This process completes in different steps-
- The main procedure takes place early in morning.
- Physician tells patient to take milk.
- After milk medicines for Vaman are given to patient.
- The medicine helps in initiating the process of Vamana.
- A vaidya continuously observes the patient and makes further decision.
Mode of action of Vamana herbs:
As Vamaka Drugs posses the qualities like ushna (hot), Tikshna (irritating), sukshma (deep penetrating) Vyavayi (spreading speedily). These medicines act by their potency. Vamana medicines spread throughout the body channels immediately. Medicines break up the hard masses of toxins. Toxins, which are already soft by the purva karma (snehana and swedana) producers.
These Vamana drugs make toxins to move out drop by drop without any further adherence. It happens just like water moves inside a pot smeared with oi. Now these toxins gather inside stomach. The Vamana medicines give rise to reflex vomiting.
The completion of procedure depends on the following points-
- Number of bouts of vomiting.
- Quantity of vomitus.
- Condition of the patient.
Pashchat Karma: The post treatment management
Once the process of Vamana completes. Patient needs rest first of all. And because, body needs complete rest. There are restrictions on food. These restrictions are decided according to the final results of the Vamana procedure.
Benefits of Vamana
- The Vitiated and aggressive Kapha Dosha is thrown out of the body, which cures the disease.
- Increases digestion and metabolic power.
- General health is restored.
- The sense organs, mind, intellect, and complexity become apparent and gain strength.
- One gets strength, nutrition, and immunity.
- It enhances the possibility of fertility, virility, and sexual power.
- It helps to slow down the aging process.
- A person can stay healthy for a long time.
Contraindications for Vamana
Vamana is not recommended for
- Pregnant women
- In children
- For elderly people.
- Person under stress.
- In case of cardiac problems.
- Patient of high blood pressure.
- In wounded condition.
- Patient who is vomiting already.
- In Eye diseases
- Patient with Hepatomegaly
- In Splenomegaly
- Urinary incontinence.
- Patients of paralysis or neuropathies.
Besides these there are many other conditions in which Vamana is not a procedure of choice.
Our Treatment Philosophy
Every person is unique, hence treatment for the person’s disease must be unique too. Sandhya Medicity doctors take
the ayurveda approach, which includes:
Customized remedy including diet, therapy and lifestyle planners designed by your doctor to compliment the medicines for holistic treatment of the root-cause